A few of my favorite things.....

as I reflect on the year and get ready for the new one. I started 2017 full of spunk and was able to sew and finish a few things. As we got closer to the end of March it was obvious that we had to start our kitchen/dining room remodel.  I don't have pictures of tearing out steps and laying new floor or moving a door in the dining room but I did take a few shots of the kitchen. It changed from a lovely harvest gold to modern grey and white.  No outside windows in the kitchen made this a huge challenge. I wanted to get enough light in but because of our roof (which also got replaced during this time) we were limited to what we could add.  

Most walls were replaced. Soffit was taken out. 

Taller cabinets were installed. 

Currently have tile up and grouted this week but waiting to put sealer on. So exciting to be almost done. 
We upcycled an old cabinet into a movable island and we love it. A small saddle stool fits under the back. I need to order one more for me but my hubs can sit and eat breakfast with me. 


While we were doing all that, I managed to sew very little. I did a few blocks for a QAL and I made a few holiday gifts. Some of those I shared before Christmas but I had to wait until I had time after to show you the few presents I made for my great niece and nephews. 


I made travel reading pillows. They are regular bed size pillows. One side super soft fuzzy fabrics for leaning on and reading.  The other side has zipper pocket for pjs or private things, small pocket for flashlight or game/puzzle and a big pocket for books.  The idea came from Melissa over at The polka dot chair and then I did my spin on it. 

They turned out super cute and I think I want one. 



For my brand new great nephew I made a couple different sized burp cloths and a crinkle tag lovey with a snap for a pacifier.  
Oh and the buffalo plaid piece you see is a new double flannel scarf for me!!

I made a few soup bowl cozies too. 

Now I have to start thinking about the new year. I know I know it is already the 4th. I sort of want to not set things in stone. I was to be more receptive to the flow of things. My husband and I are on a staycation since it is so cold we could not see traveling in it after our Christmas travel.

 So....... I have adopted wearing exercise clothes every day so far and tried some yoga to see if I can slow down, get grounded and heal my ails. I am amazed at what I can do so far.
I signed up to do a simple reading challenge through my local library and have really enjoyed this and I am reading 2 different books at once. 
Once my kitchen and dining is finished I am going to move some of my overcrowded sewing things in the dining area and see what happens.  Yep, I want to finish some things and start some new but I am just going to see what happens. 
I do want to participate in Project Quilting again but I am going to take it one week at a time. 

I am looking forward to where this road leads. I hope you join me along the way. 

Linking up with NTT and Kelly of my Quilt Infatuation

Comments

I am in the planning process of the same thing! So good to see your post. What kind of cabinets did you use? I am looking at a price range all over the place - did you get them at Home Depot or Lowe’s? Custom or assembled. They have some pretty cheap but you get what you pay for. What backsplash! Is that the subway tiles? Flooring? I’m looking at vinyl plank flooring to look like wood.
It looks great!
Carla said…
Oh, your kitchen looks so good. Love those tiles and your island. I'm with you, I'm going to try for Project Quilting, but one week at a time. I am trying new things in 2018 to get out of my comfort zone, but Project Quilting challenges me so much that I will probably be there for every challenge. ;) I need to find a better burp rag pattern, did you use one or make your own?

Popular posts from this blog

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

Finish it up Friday and S'more Love Giveaway

Flowering Lonestar test and Giveaway!