...a finish

Just in time for my lqg meeting challenge....I have a little finish! Our guild challenge was called "That's MODern" and we had to draw a Modern element or aesthetic out of a bag and make a 16" square black and white quilt with a pop of color.  I drew "Texture"..........say what??  The first thing I thought of was all the wonderful quilting I have been seeing lately. But I am not a talent for quilting and my sewing room is a big heaping pile since the remodel project started months ago.  
Recently the MQG had a webinar by Rebecca Bryan from Bryan House Quilts and bits from her book Modern Triangle Quilts.  She talked about modern aesthetic and graphic design. So that got me excited. Here is what I came up with. 




"Text-ure"
16" square
Modern element = Texture
black white and pop of color 
I wanted to make sure everyone knew what my element was so I wrote out an improv word. :)
Emphasis on 'text' since I love text in quilting and fabric so much. In the improv I tried to create letters that were in relief and hollow relief thus creating a sort of visual texture.


Here you can see the use of other materials to create a more tactile texture. There are pieces of upholstery and vinyl sewing in and appliqued on. 


and lastly I tried to quilt texture. Many other entries had much better texture as far as quilting but I gave it a go. My machine I use for Freemotion was buried and not used for months so lucky I figured out how to even use it!!!

My piece is kind of quirky and that fits me I think. Pretty pleased I just able to sew at all. 

OH and our upcoming sew day in November for the guild we do some gift ideas. I found a tutorial for a journal cover by Bloom and Blossom blog and then added in an orphan quilt block and a pocket for pencil. 


I found a graph paper notebook that is perfect for the quilt designer. This has an elastic that goes around to the back to hold it closed. I love it!! I know i will be making more. 

So there you have it...progress to just sit down in sewing room but major high-five action for making a couple things this week. Woot!

Sadly, I am stepping off the modern quilt guild board I help found.I need a break from board meetings and guild duties I think.  I have been attending and part of a modern quilt guild in the city about 45 minutes from me since 2012 and served on the board there as VP for a little over a year. I answered a FB post about starting one in my city and so in 2014 our group started to come together.  Last nights meeting we hit 80 members. After working with the other co-founders we had a good thing going on and it continued to grow. We became official in the end of 2015 and joined the MQG. I have worked in many capacities to help make the guild what it is today. So proud of all that has been accomplished but sad to step away and let new and more modern members take it on. Modern quilting is so very changing and growing. It is hard to keep up with all that is new and old and new again.  I will continue to be a member in both guilds and can't wait to see what the next "modern trend" is.

Linking up with Lorna @ Let's Bee social
and
Crazy mom quilts

Comments

LOVE your challenge quilt AND your journal cover. Both are AWESOME!!!

Popular posts from this blog

P.Q. 15.4 Hourglass

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

P.Q. 15.2 - Sky color -All Glory