Moth (er) and the County fair is over


This is My Moth(er)
42 x 38
Tula Pink book Pattern -Ikat Moth
freemotion quilted circles over moth and wavy lines over background
By now if you follow me you know I am really an emotional quilter/crafter. I attach to certain things I choose and often it comes from a somewhere deep inside that usually circles back to my mom. 

"You and I possess within ourselves - at every moment of our lives, under all circumstances, the power to transform the quality of our lives.  Knowing that is what the work is all about." - Werner Erhard

I put that quote on the label of this quilt because this was a huge learning curve for me. I chose to use these vibrant colors inspired from the Madegascan Moon Moth. I think many moths are beautiful and live such short lives. 


This quilt taught me lots of patience which is burned into a memory of my mother when she started getting sick. 


1" strips sewn down to 1/2" makes for a very thick quilt. The skinny lines required me to block the top and then block it again after I quilted.



I entered it into the county fair and it received a white 3rd place ribbon. They said my piecing was okay and my sides could be straighter. I helped with the judging so it was hard not to say...but I blocked it twice and it can't get any straighter! haha It was just fun to enter really so if you have a county fair you should. Other non-quilters need to see and be inspired.  

 quilting




Linking up with Connie @ Freemotion at the river
and 
and 
and
and

Comments

Jen said…
This quilt is so awesome up close and far away! Love the colors and the circle quilting!
Your quilt is fantastic, and I love how you chose to quilt it! You are right - other people need to see such beautiful work. :) Thanks for sharing on Main Crush Monday!
Georgi said…
Absolutely gorgeous! (I can't even begin to imagine doing 1" strips) Love the quilting as well!
Beautiful quilt! I have made mug rugs with tiny strips but never something as big as this. Congrats on your ribbon and thanks for sharing.
I have long admired that quilt pattern. Now to see yours is truly inspiring. If I were the judge at your county fair, you would've gotten grand champion, wall quilt category. If you enter in the state fair, you may get a very different opinion. That happened to me--a white ribbon at the county fair, grand champion at the state fair.

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

Remember when

I am...

Japandi - a bee quilt