P.Q 13.5 - Rhythm and Repetition Go Big...


Well this week for Project Quilting 13.5 the theme is Rhythm and Repetition.
I dug into my pattern/ruler pile and came up with "Mountain Hiking" by Kate Henderson out of the book Scrappy and Happy Quilts. It uses Perfect rectangle

rulers but I had EZ Tri Tool by Darlene Zimmerman made by simplicity and they were same size for the three smaller triangles. I had to make a template for the biggest. 

This quilt measures approx. 72.5" x 80.5" I had to decide if I could do this large size in a week. I used all scrap or a variety of older low volume pieces for the background. I emptied out a bag of these red violet lovelies ( one of my favorite colors the last few years) that I had been saving for something. So the cutting took a little bit of time because of the scrappy pieces I had to deal with. Still I was able to make the top relatively quickly. did have trouble with my large template size triangles because the top tip was so wide it never gave me a point. I decided after trying to fix and wasting a couple pieces to go with the improv flow of it. 
I


Now sandwiching and quilting became the daunting part. I had to clear a floor space to get it sandwiched and thought using some temporary adhesive spray would help. I pin basted to try to keep the rows lined up. Though the top and back were lined up and pinned the top kept trying to crawl off to one direction. I tried to keep it together by more spray basing but nope......it was not having it. Luckily I checked the back frequently and found it was pulling and folding tucks. I ripped out several rows of quilting several times and realigned and re-basted and re-pinned AND STILL it kept shifting.
You might be saying check the presser foot pressure...did that! Adjusted the feed dogs (i have 4 levels to choose from) ...did that!  Did both at the same time...nada!
I had no more ideas but to stop and do some hand quilting. Ironically the sandwiched didn't budge. It all laid nicely and so I quilted several rows and thought...okay I will just add some machine in between. This worked nicely until the very last two rows that I wanted to machine stitch. It shifted but I kept at it and it turned out okay. 


It is raining here this morning off and on and bright but not out so hard to get the color to show. This does show the theme though...lots of repetition and it does have a rhythm to it.
I can only think I want to call this quilt "Fraught" cuz well...it was fraught with lots of issues.  It is in the washing machine now and I hope that is not one more issue to face...my hand stitching coming undone but we will cross that bridge when it gets here. 
I used a ruler and used a pattern off my stack. Used fabrics from my stash and finished in time for challenge. 
You can check out other entries for this weeks challenge HERE

also linking up with 

Wendy's Peacock Party

Comments

I love your mountains quilt and the various sizes of the triangles. Pretty colors and beautiful background fabrics too. Well done with the challenge!
Kim said…
Your perseverance paid off in a very lovely quilt. Inspiring.
Katie said…
Beautiful! And despite all the frustrations, you finished with time to spare.
Laura said…
I love this quilt. Your perseverance really paid off and you learned as you proceeded. I also love that you not only used fabric that you had but you also used rulers available as well. Bravo.
PersimonDreams said…
this is absolutely stunning!
Lovely quilt despite the issues you had. I adore the big hand stitching you added! Terrific. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.
It's fabulous, Kris!! Sorry that it gave you fits along the way. You were SEW brave to tackle such a large PQ project, but you ROCKED it with your persistence!

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

Remember when

I am...

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet