Inspiration all around


It was a really snowy day but I wanted the chance to take a photo of my newly finished "Chihuly Inspired" quilt outside of the Josleyn Musuem. The snow was still everywhere so I got the courage to go in and ask if I could take a quick pic onthe rails.  Afterall, it was inside that I first saw the large installation of the Chihuly Glowing Gemstone Polyvito Chandelier. (blown plastic) 


Up close you can see the fun quilting design. I worked with Marsha from Dog Ear Creek Quilts to come up with something that would enhance but not take away from this fun layout. 
This quilt was made with one of my all time favorite things, The Quick Curve Ruler (QCR) and the pattern can be found in the books from  Sew Kind of Wonderful. I love their rulers and on a mission to make several of their patterns. This layout of colors and fabrics was my own design. I wish you could see the glittery gold fabrics that make up some of the orbs. 



Since the pics outside of the Joslyn didn't pan out I had to venture out another day and get a few shots around home. The surroundings just do not do it justice as I invisioned a much more elegant setting for this fun piece.  Oh well...




Still, I am tickled pink that I was able to get this UFO finished and quilted. Maybe this piece has inspired me to think more about being an artist and what it would mean to ever actually be in the Joslyn as part of an actual show...  Or maybe I am just thrilled they allowed me to take the snap below! 


For more info on the Joslyn Chihuly sculptures you can see this cool teaching poster or visit HERE 
There really is inspiration all around!

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation NTT and



Comments

PaintedThread said…
Very pretty! All those curves. Love the colors and the quilting, too.
Jen said…
Wow I love how this one turned out!! All those glittery fabrics are so fun. I think you will have a quilt in an art show some day. Let's do it!
Debbie said…
A really lovely finish!
Rebecca Grace said…
Your giant clam shell quilt is beautiful -- great job! Can you give more specifics about where I could find the pattern/how you made this quilt? Your link sent me to the Sew Kind Of Wonderful homepage and I looked through their pattern offerings but did not see it there. Then I saw the section with their books but didn't know which book might contain this pattern.

I've started cutting out some large scale clam shells using acrylic templates but I'm not sure how I want to handle sewing them together. Traditional curved piecing? Appliqué? Would very much like to learn about the construction methods that work well for others. Thanks!
Preeti said…
This quilt indeed looks like lit chandeliers and has an awesome 3-D effect. You should be so proud of it.

Popular posts from this blog

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

Finish it up Friday and S'more Love Giveaway

Flowering Lonestar test and Giveaway!