There's a kind of Hush...



"A kind of hush" 
15.5" x 15.5" 
Black and white mini challenge
Improv pieced
Sheer overlay
Machine and hand quilted

so I started thinking of movement in air in water and in thought. I soon felt stuck and put it aside for a few days. 
I was on FB and saw a photograph someone had taken of a really cool zen stack of rocks and the sun peaking through a crack between the stones. The hole was perfect and allowed rays of the sun to explode out through the hole. 
I was so inspired by the beauty and calm that I walked into my sewing room last night and jumped back into my movement of air, water and thought. 
Out came ....
A Kind of Hush. 


I played around with the improv shapes but it felt too something? I always like to try new things and thought why not try a sheer overlay to calm it down. 
I have a stash of clothing fabrics and found this sheer white organdy. I was scared it would be hard to sew but it quilted up nicely with my walking foot. 
I then needed to bring some of the movement back to the forefront and chose to use black perle cotton hand quilting. 
I think it works!

The backing also fits my calm theme. 
I made a facing following a new video I came across on the Bernina We All Sew Invisible Faced Binding

Since this project was small I did it. I like the tutorial except I had trouble with turning the corners and having them pull enough fabric to the back. The extra bulk of that sheer organza made the edges slippery. I need to tuck the corners slightly at the bottom and on the top I stitched them down around the outside leaving openings for a hanging bar. I think it is okay. 

I am happy with the movement and the flow of the design. It is hard to photograph something with a sheer overlay though and you don't want to press with a too hot iron.  Can you tell I say this from experience?  Anyway it is a bit crinkly with layers. I will definitely try a sheer overlay again. 

Comments

Jen said…
I really like it!! And yes, it is difficult to photograph that sheer stuff. I think your photos turned out great!

Popular posts from this blog

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

Finish it up Friday and S'more Love Giveaway

Flowering Lonestar test and Giveaway!