Mountain High, Valley Low - The improv triangle QAL



"Mountain High, Valley Low" 
48" x 38"
improv from scraps
line quilting in diamond pattern


The improv triangle QAL with Nicholas Ball on IG was so much fun. It was just the most glorious distraction for me. I was able to sit down and make a few blocks at a time and didn't have to worry about measurements and sizes. It was just what I needed during my waiting game with my health issues. 


The back piece was something I hand dyed a while back. I think it worked pretty great for this back with a few leftover blocks.

I had several versions going and of course didn't think it was going to end up so big but it was just so fun to work on. 

Luckily I had just the right aurifil thread. I ended up using most of the lighter ones which were a mix of 50 and 40 weight. 

It took a long time to figure out what I wanted to quilt across all those colors. I asked my husband what he saw when he looked at this piece and he said points, just points going in one direction. I thought...hmmm why not make my quilting with points so came up with diamonds. I think it is okay. 


Thanks to Nicholas Ball and his QAL I have another finish this year. 
You can check out his book: Inspiring Improv
Inspiring Improv: Explore Creative Piecing with Curves, Strips, Slabs and More Softcover by Ball, Nicholas - Alibris Books, Music & Movies


Comments

Debbie said…
Sounds like you had as much fun as I did. Your finish is spectacular!!!
Jenny M said…
amazing improv & love the colours you have used.
Liz said…
Wow!!! It is stunning. Simply stunning. I love the colors and the way you laid it out.
Preeti said…
Spectacularly done!!! I am sure Nicholas would be proud of you and you should be so proud of your work.
I love how this turned out! The color scheme is really great and the diamond quilting suits it perfectly.
Danice G said…
So awesome! I love the improv, fabrics and the whole quilt.

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

P.Q. 15.6 theme Irish chain