Color by Number not once but twice


I recently came across Caroline over at Sew Can She making another of her Color by Number quilts. This time she is focusing on the quilting doing a qal week by week. I was looking for more kid sized easy quilts to make for my project Quilts for Kids. Her color by number is a really simple strip quilt to make. I did have to adjust the size of the strip block to make a smaller sized quilt but the concept is still the same. 
When you read the directions (by the way the pattern is free on her page above) you see that for each fabric you have to cut 1 and then 1/2 of a strip. Well in quilts for kids terms that means if you cut one more strip (3) you will have enough to make 2 quilts. So ..........


dig out some eh.... fabric and see what you can make that might be kid friendly. 


This strip method does not take long at all. I was able to cut and piece 3 big slabs like this (above) in an afternoon.  I then decided on layout start point and cut the strips accordingly.  By evening I had both cut and 1 1/2 pieced. 


I changed my starting point for the second one so slightly different. 

I think they turned out pretty great. Both measure 42" x 28" 

But after all that I still ended up with a slab of pieced fabrics and decided to build the back out of for one of the quilts and I had plenty of remaining fabric for a back for the other. 


I hoped to use up more fabric from this stack but sadly this still didn't use much making both of these. I guess that is a sign I just have tooo much fabric. :)


Luckily we scooped off our back patio when we were hit with 16 plus inches of snow so I had a place to take a few photos. I tried the snow but it is just piled too high to get an good pics. 

If you want to join Caroline and her quilt along you can jump in at her page above. They are taking their time quilting. I jumped into simple straight line cross hatch quilting for my two and they are bound and done and ready to be washed and given to someone to love. 
I need to keep moving on my stash while the iron is hot..pun intended. 
 
linking up with Kelly for NTT @My Quilt Infatuation
and
and
and
and
Scrap Quilts @Quilting is more fun that housework
and 
Michelle's romantic tangle baby quilts HERE





Comments

Two quilts for the labor of one. QFK twins for the WIN!!!
They look both wonderful. I love the white flowers fabric!
Thank you for linking up ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

P.Q. 15.6 theme Irish chain