Project Quilting Season 12.2 Kaleidoscope style


38" x 48"
Serpentine quilting with walking foot. 
All stash fabrics (should win for use of oldest pieces of fabric...guessing over 20 years on easter eggs and backing fabric)


Yep that is indeed Easter Eggs! I can not tell you how old this piece of fabric is but it has been in my stash a very long time. I remember I bought it specifically for making a kaleidoscope quilt.  When I started looking at it closer I remembered why I did not end up making it all those years ago. The problem? The print is very close. By that I mean the shapes are very similar and the colors are pretty similar and it really doesn't make for a dynamic kaleidoscope. However, it does make a very soft babyish one and so I finished this up to give to my pet project Quilts for Kids again!


I played around with several solids to sort of modernize the piece but really it was never really going to go modern.  I do like the solid colors I ended up with though.  Honeydew, melon, blue and gold. 




You can see some of the kaleidoscope variations I did achieve.  I tried to do some checking as to when this type of quilt first started showing up. I could only find the person who started what is called Stack and Whack cutting method,  Bethany Reynolds.  Her book on amazon dates back to 1998.  :)


I tried to run out and get a quick pic but it was coming down pretty hard. 


The backing piece just barely went with the front but I think it will get loved just the same as a newer print. 

Linking up with Persimon Dreams you can click on link and see all the other entries for this 12.2 fussy cut one week challenge. 
HERE Applique Patchwork and Quilt Party

Comments

Lovely kaleidoscope effect! Your project turns out beautifully!
I remember that fabric! I may still have some in my stash. Congrats on using yours!
PersimonDreams said…
so cool how this was created! Looks great!
Another wonderful baby quilt finish!!! I found you from Let's Make Baby Quilts link up, where I like to link my baby quilts, too.
Ashlee Moody said…
Great read thank yoou
Adeline Anne said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

P.Q. 15.6 theme Irish chain