The way to use the last two 2018 quilt labels....is scrappy

I should have been making more holiday presents or finishing ufo or phd projects but.........no.  I got distracted by an overflowing bag of neutral scraps and thought...hm I have time to make something and use up some of these scraps before the end of the year don't I? :)


 I gallon zip lock bag full of bits
Sew similar pieces together to make strips


 Cut up a bunch of scrap batting too but forgot to take a pic of the stack of 30 pieces I was able to cut out of batting bits from other quilts. Decided on a red accent strip to try to make this scrap quilt a little more modern. 

Way more dark strips than light in this one. I am sure I will use the low volume up in other projects I have in my head right now. 

and the big reveal.......


"Electric Slide" a scrap quilt
approx. 53 x 63
scrap strips and scrap batting
QAYG method with accent sashing 
glue baste method


I think the red accent fabric and placing all the strip squares of the dark fabrics the same way made this kind of fun. 
Mostly I just love using up stuff that might be considered garbage. There are lots of memories in some of the pieces included in this that were bits from other old quilts.


With red thread I decided to do a little long stitch inside the red squares. I am not sure it shows up much but it was fun to do. 


This is a glimpse of this old fabric I used up for the back squares. And....drum roll please........... second last label used up from 2018. yay One label to go!


For fun this vintage looking pic.

Linking up with Let's bee social with Lorna
and 
with Em's Scrapbag here





Comments

Susie H said…
WOW!!!! I love your Electric Slide!!!! String quilts are so popular right now and yours is a beautiful example. Happy New Year!
Bonnie said…
What a great quilt. Definitely looks modern and different from the basic rendition. And, I'm drooling over all those wonderful black and white fabrics.
Debbie said…
Very cool! What a terrific end of the year finish!
Naomi said…
This is a beautiful quilt! You have great ideas and wonderful scraps.

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

P.Q. 15.6 theme Irish chain