New Book Review: Perfectly Pieced Quilt Backs by Kelly Young


New Book by Kelly Young - Perfectly Pieced Quilt Backs
I am so happy to read and review and use this book to work on my stash. Kelly has great tips and simple layouts to help you use your scraps up in a way to work with the front of your quilts. By using her tips you can use up leftover blocks and bits from the quilt you are making and you are not left with a huge scrap pile. 

If you have been following me at all but especially this year I have made it a mission to use my stash.  Part of that mission was emptying out a couple of huge bags of scraps. HERE is an example of some of the scraps I used up.

In Kelly's book there are 30 different quilt backs ideas. 15 using leftover scrappy bits and 15 more from yardage. Her book  features  great full quilt finishing instructions and each back has instruction for 3 sizes given. 
Not only do you get all that help but she has also included 18 lap sized quilt patterns for downloading. 
Wow, so much right here in one place to help you sew beautiful quilts and backs. 

I started implementing some of her tips when I first saw her book. 

One of the free patterns included is the Baubles quilt. On a mission to use my stash I found a busy group of FQ's that I have had trouble using because of the different prints and sizes of prints. This was the perfect use for them. 


I really love how all the odd prints and colors work in this pattern. 


And now without further ado...the back. I used the basic idea of the "Double bar" back. 

I first sewed together as many of my scraps from the FQ's that I had left. There were all sizes from big chunks to 2" squares. I used everything and it made 3 long chunks.  It was super easy then to fill in the double bar solid navy in the center and added what was left to the outside. Most of my leftovers were smaller in width than in Kelly's example but I think it still works well. 

This is what I had left when done with the back: 

Yes that is it!!! no big stack to go into a scrap bin! Yay winner winner...me!


I have been obsessed with quilting with my decorative stitches so here is a fun criss cross line I discovered.  Looks sort of cool on the back too. 

This was a huge success to me with the help of the tips to use up your front scraps  from Kelly. 


Fun window that matched my quilt so I had my friend Jen run over and hold quilt!!

~~~~
 
Here is one I finished by using the yardage I had saved:


I pulled out a quilt top dated from 2016:  Midnight Mystery with Meadow Mist Designs by Cheryl Brickey   I had saved the fabrics I wanted for the backing. Of course did not have enough so............. Kelly's new book to the rescue!


Of course I didn't have enough of the yardage I needed to complete the back so I had to get creative...Kelly Young creative! :)


I had a partial block from the front leftover and I was not going to use it but I needed to use it!  I read over Kelly's book and with the fabric I had to use I made a bit of the "Intersection" quilt back. I did throw in the orphan but it was out of necessity as I didn't have quilt enough of my one feature fabric. 
If you read through Kelly's book there is another back called "Checkerboard" that uses large pieces up in a similar way. Plus one of her ideas uses and features an orphan block called "Framed Orphan"




Creative use of fabrics helped me use so much of this up!



I felt the back really complimented the front. 

With these finished I can easily recommend Kelly's book and also check out her blog and quilt linky party. 


Participating bloggers in this book review:
linking to:
of course

Comments

I love your Baubles quilt, AND of course, the back! Thank you so much for helping me with the book launch!

:) Kelly
Two great quilts with two fun backs! I enjoyed seeing them both. And now I might just have to make Baubles, too!
Quilting Gail said…
The bubbles quilt was perfect for all your fat quarters and the back is great! And yes, Kelly's book was perfect for the backing of Midnight Mystery! Well done!
What pretty quilts! Love the pieced backs. Looks like a great book to add to my collection. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/21/wednesday-wait-loss-333
Preeti said…
My first thought was how perfectly the back matches the front of the quilt. And then I saw you said the same thing :-) It is fabulous book to have. I can see myself using it often.
Great use of Kelly's new book! Wow, I love your Baubles quilt, too! I'm going to be downloading that one for sure, after seeing yours!
Two awesome quilts, Kris! I particularly like the back you made for the 2nd one.
JanineMarie said…
I like how you used Kelly’s book to make a new quilt top, finish a WIP and make two backs. That’s a great demo of the value of the book. And what a great photo of the quilt in front of the window!
Lovely quilts, I love your pieced backings! Pretty Double bar back.

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

Remember when

I am...

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet