P.Q. 15.3 - Inside out theme - a Modern T-shirt


This weeks challenge for Persimon Dreams Project Quilting theme is Inside out. Oh boy this was a bit of a question mark.  I had something in mind but was not sure if I could make it work and in a week. This is a horrible picture but it has the spot to the right mid area that I bled on  so thought I would share!! ha

I decided on a modern tshirt wholecloth quilt with reverse applique raw edge cutouts.  


I layered fleece for the backing, then a slick lycra type jersey crazy print fabric and then a cotton/poly/lycra t-shirt fabric over the top. Drew my design, pinned and cut out the shapes. Once cut I stitched around loosely leaving all the knots on the outside back. 


Why (k)not? 
I am just going to say this was a bit tough to stitch through and I punched at least 9 holes into myself doing it even with thimbles and guards. The lycra made the weave/knit tight and sometimes my needle went through and sometimes I had to force it thus getting punched in various places. 



Before I got it all quilted I had to cut and bind to get some of the stretchy weight off. The binding was probably the worst part of this project. It was full and wanted to roll back toward the quilt so there are wonky places on the front that my stitching shows from the first stitching of the binding. 



This guy is heavy. I had a hard time trying to get a good photo of it hanging other than the one in my dining room at the top of this post. That pic has a little wet spot on it where I had to get blood off cuz again, I punched holes in myself numerous times. 
Anyway it was too cold to fight with hanging it so you get my lovely draped park bench pics. 


Measures approx 52" x 60"
reverse applique wholecloth modern t-shirt quilt
quilted by hand with pearl cotton
This baby is heavy and soft!

I am linking up with Persimon Dreams P.Q. 15. 3

and

Comments

Danice G said…
Wow, really creative and bright. I love wholecloth quilts, and yours is a super nice.
PersimonDreams said…
This is incredible! LOVE this!
SEW sorry for your needle wounds while making this wonderful challenge entry, Kris!!

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

Remember when

I am...

Japandi - a bee quilt