Japandi - a bee quilt


Japandi
57" x 49" 
improv
crosshatch organic quilting
a BeeUtifully Modern Bee quilt
my Bee mates: Jen, Phyllis, Liz and Judy 
This quilt is the first blocks my beemates and I made together. 
I was up for Queen Bee first and I chose a combination of Japans wabi-sabi style mixed with the clean natural lines of Scandinavian design. Throw in asking for making your own stripes and a neutral palette and you get Japandi style!


It took me 2 full length audio books to piece the blocks together once they were turned in. I think I figured close to 22 hours. It was a challenge to create balance and use up all the bits. 

It is hard to tell from here but some of those little bits are tiny tiny bits, skinny lines and stripes. 



With our Bee if you want your piece bigger you have to make quite a few blocks and bits to fill in. In this quilt each person made one big block and then gave me all the scraps they had leftover. I worked to piece almost all of that into this beauty. 

Here you can see the back and the leftovers plus the organic cross hatch quilting. I had glare but still I love this photo.


The label was super fun. Phyllis was taking some sketchbook tutorials and one was to sketch faces without picking up your pencil. I tried a few and then took on drawing a group shot of my beemates. It turned out pretty good and I decided it would make a perfect label. 


So I admit...I needed a neutral wall for this photo shoot and this office building was deserted. I drove around back to find this space. I really did check to see if it said no trespassing. I saw a tiny sign on my way out ...oops!!!! I think if they saw me taking this photos on their cameras they would have laughed. 
Since this photo I heard they fenced it up. Well....it did make for a pretty great photo upclose. :)

Not sure why it has taken me so long to share this one. I really really love it. 

linking up with Let's Bee Social Lorna
and
NTT at My Quilt Infatuation

Comments

Phigley said…
Great quilt. And a great experience learning how to “beesewcial”.
EthelA said…
This is an amazing and inspiring quilt! I love the neutral, lower-volume colors that you chose. I have a question regarding how you managed to hang it. I assume you created a sleeve?

This comment has been removed by the author.
Wow!!! Perfect! I love it. I'm not surprised it got a champion ribbon at the fair--I read ahead. Fun ninja photo shoot, too!

(I so the answer to my previous question 57 X 49, so I deleted it--sorry!!!)
Jayne said…
This is a gorgeous quilt! Bee quilts can sometimes be a challenge when it comes to putting all the pieces together, but you nailed it! Love the quilting too!
Love the subtle color of your bee quilt. It creates a very calm and quiet feeling. Beautiful!!
Tami Von Zalez said…
Really adore this look.
PaintedThread said…
Such a neat quilt. I love the neutrals. Really pretty.
Jen said…
I love our first bee quilt!! Great job putting it all together. I love the label so much, too!
This is serene and artistic. Lovely.
Cindy said…
I LOVE this quilt!!! Not one to work in neutrals, this inspires me to give it a shot. It is just fantastic! You and your Bee mates did great. I think it would be fun to work on a collaboration with my buds. And the label is Perfect!!!!!
WesternWilson said…
Love the colour choices! How did you decide which fabrics/colours to use and what were your final choices?
Fabulous! You did a super job fitting all the bee units together in a cohesive way.
Phong cách Thiết kế nội thất Japandi là một phong cách thiết kế ấn tượng, kết hợp giữa văn hóa phương Đông và Phương Tây, mang lại sự đơn giản nhưng tinh tế

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

I am...