PQ 12. 6 Ab Intra challenge


So Project Quilting 12.6 challenge is Ab Intra -Latin for 'from within'.  Once again I wanted to combine scraps for #nationalquiltingmonth #sewthescrapoutofmarch all month long. I thought of a couple things I could do but came back to starting with my favorite color combo black and white...and use prints I had in my scrap pile. The center sort of represents me and then building bits around is kind of like building on experiences. Using scraps was perfect for that because you never know what you will run into. 


I got out some cardboard and did some measurements to see what I could come up with. My diamond fits on a strip of about 5.25 so I was able to cut quite a few out of strips left over from bits of FQ's etc.  The background pieces I fine tuned after I started doing the blocks. 

I grabbed a stack of scrap strips and just started sewing. Once on I trimmed them down to about an 1". Some of my scraps were wonky but for this did didn't matter since I was trimming. I did get the idea to make some blocks facing one way and some the other. This way when I put them together I didn't have to match extra seams. That was a success and I chock that up to previous projects...always building our knowledge base. :)

Much to my happiness the little dog ears matched up perfectly and made it easy to see where to sew. 

This turned out cool. Kind of a weavy bit of strips. Might have to do this again on a bigger project. 



Quilted a little serpentine in the diamonds. 
Finished at 40" x 49"

I used a couple bits of grunge that I was saving. Why? I don't know. See something else to learn about myself.  I have a stack of grunge and just never use it. Well things have got to change!

So this is sort of called "Simply". I learned that I do, and always have liked making something from nothing...well in this case scraps used that probably should have been thrown away. So many were bits from straightening WOF and some cut off of backing after quilting. Odd bits of FQ's and the like. I just like using that stuff. Another thing I liked about myself is that, though I don't excel at quilt math I like doing it. I also felt connected to my mom when I got out the cardboard and started making templates. 
Oh and I was going to take my sewing machine in for service to I decided to get out her machine and sew on it. It is not a fancy machine  and it makes weird noises but it simply does the job. 

Linking up to Persimon dreams go check out the other entries!
and linking up with Cynthia @Oh Scrap
and 
Wendy's Peacock party
 

Comments

Katie said…
I love this! All of it! It would be a fun pattern to fussy cut a larger print for the centers, but cool that you used prints in your favorite color for the challenge. And I, too, have fabrics hanging out that I love, but won't use. I'm trying to get better about it, realizing I can enjoy them even more if they're in a quilt I'm snuggled under than on a shelf in my sewing room, but I had to get there. Using your mom's machine is a great part of this quilts story!
You neglected another aspect of yourself. (At least, in my estimation...) You are BRAVE! Diamond quilt patterns are scary. LOVE your scrappy Ab Intra project!!
This is really a lot of fun. Great scrap quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!
PersimonDreams said…
amazing job! I've truly enjoyed seeing all your creations ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

Finish it up Friday and S'more Love Giveaway