Sew Different



Like many of you, I have been sewing masks.  We have so many places asking for masks that it is hard not to stop what you are doing and sew them if you can. I knew that I had enough supplies already to make a few so it was just a matter of digging through everything. 
You know what happens when you dig through everything? You find things you forgot about. I didn't dig far when I came across lots of UFO projects. While mask fabric was washing I organized a few of the ufo's to see what needed to be done. I was able to finish several smaller quilts I had in the pile just waiting for sandwiching and quilting. 

I realized that when I finished a couple I had a fence full. I decided on a semi- nice day before guild virtual sew day (the sat. before Easter) I would take a quilt show pic.  I will post more about a couple of the UFO's later. Some of these I have already blogged about last month. 
My fence faces a park so anyone driving into the park goes right by and I had several stop to look. 
But, while this was progress, there was and is still a need for masks. I could only make so many before I had to think about something else.  So just know that while I want to talk about quilts and ufo projects, masks are being made and donated. 


Sew......this brings me to my UFO sewing machine cover. I started long ago when I found this adorbs Cori Dantini fabric. It is a bit more feminine than what I usually go for but thought it would make a fun sewing machine cover.  I had some mini charm packs of prints and solids that looked like they would go with this fabric panel.  As I am sewing masks I am thinking of how I can finish this UFO. 

The trouble, again, with digging through your stuff is you find things. I found this Angela Walters ruler that I had not used yet. In my lqg we were partnered with another member to sort of work and learn together. My partner is determined to work on her quilting and loves the recent qal's that Angela has been doing. I was inspired by my partner's enthusiasm, and decided to give the ruler a try. 

I remembered that I wanted to figure out a project that would showcase some of my pins and buttons. This machine cover seemed the perfect showcase. I can still take the cover off and use it as a mat on the back half of the cover.

I was given the tiny silver scissor pin many years ago and it was in a box in a drawer. I love them on the sewing table along with my other scissors in the pocket. 
The pocket goes across the entire bottom and can hold lots of the things you need to take along for a sew day or just store near your machine. 

The side ties are a cute tape measure twill tape. I am super happy to have another UFO off the pile and on my machine.  I also love that many of my pins and buttons found a home and on display. 

So this was a fun break from sewing masks. I think we need to do things that bring us a bit of joy. Don't get me wrong, I feel if I can help someone by making masks then that is fantastic.  But for my own mental stability I need to do a variety of things.  Working on this machine cover and making myself try some new quilting with a ruler has rejuvenated me a bit and now I can get back to something else. 
Be easy on yourself and take a breathe and a break now and then from all that is happening in this crazy Covid - 19 world. 

linking up with Susan @ Quilt Fabrication MidWeek Makers
and 
My Quilt Infatuation NTT HERE

Comments

Kim said…
I love that sewing machine cover! So unique and yet simple. I may have to copy (with some individualizing, of course) your idea. Thanks for sharing.
Nähbegeisterte said…
I really like your sewing machine cover. Especially the many small eye-catchers.

Many greetings from your sewing enthusiast Andrea 🍀
Susan said…
This is a great time to finish up those UFOs, and glad you did the sewing machine cover - it's too cute!

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

Japandi - a bee quilt