UFO busting - A Modern Flip


                                                    
"Wherever the Wind Blows" 
a study of positive and negative space
42.5" x 32.5" 

Back at the beginning of the year my lqg had a modern block flip meeting. We brought blocks that were traditional and we flipped them to be more modern. 
I brought different blocks and in the end only played with a few of them with other guild members. 
I had in mind a few blocks I started in a BOM a few years ago. 


These blocks were 12.5" and simple traditional shapes made as BOM for Blossom Heart Quilts HST Modern Sampler. (2016) My fabric choices were not great. I wanted to use the hand dyes I had made and I found this gray triangle fabric in a large enough quantity to go with the dyed fabrics. However, the fabrics all looked muddy and the values were too close. Also I felt like there was too much gray. 
So when I was between masking making jaunts I grabbed the blocks and decided today is the day to do something....or see if I could. 
As soon as I cut into the blocks, I saw the gray as something different and the colors began to pop. 

I hacked into 3 of the blocks pretty severely and left the centers of 3 others. I loved the new shapes forming. I noticed the negative space and the positive space were telling a story. I had to allow the gray triangle fabric to go every which way. (wherever the wind blows) There is lots of bias pieces in this method so I have some stretchy looking shapes when I quilted but I still think it works.


I think it is kind of playful. Not my usual but I think it is kind of interesting. I think it really is a good example of negative space brought out by the positive space.  I think it is a pretty good Modern Flip from where these blocks started don't you?

linking up with What a Hoot Quilts BOM's Away
and
Oh Scrap
and
Can I get a Whoop whoop
and
My quilt infatuation NTT


Comments

Lynette said…
Wow!! What an amazing transformation. Rather mind boggling to see the interaction between the colors and the gray go from no real value distinguishment to a really dynamic popping between them! (Those are some gorgeous hand-dyes, by the way!)
I did something unexpected this week, as well. SEW much fun, isn't it? Your Improv quilt turned out great!
Love the modern carefree feel. I love working with wonky scraps but when I tried to work with sliced blocks, I could not stand the bias edges. Yours looks very successful.

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

Remember when

I am...

Japandi - a bee quilt