P. Q. 12.3 - Getting Beachy


I....love....this....scrappy quilt! As soon as project quilting 12.2 was over I set out to start to tackle some scraps. Bags and bags and bags of scraps. You know, you finish a project and some scraps go in a bag, or you go out to a sew day (well in the old days) and you take limited stuff with you and then you come home so tired you don't put away and you end up with...bags!
I probably emptied and stripped 12 or 13 smallish bags. Some of course had to stay in bags as that project may not have been finished. 
Still I started sewing strips together after cutting and making size piles. 

I was making some pretty good progress...then Project Quilting 12.3 Virtual Vacation came out on Sunday. You have to start a project after the theme is given out. So when I went to see the challenge I came across Sarah's post for String Therapy tutorials @ Confessions of a Quilt Addict. This tutorial she got from Christina HERE from the blog A few scraps. Her tutorial was for the scrappy string quilt using a charm pack or square with two sides of strings.....love how simple it is but turned out great. 
I made mine kid friendly size for Quilts for Kids. It measures 43" x 53". Sarah gives good directions and also a link to the app to figure out set in triangles for on the side. This is free so go check it out on her page. 
                                                                                                                       


The strips and squares came together really easy. I had some mid blue grunge that I added to really set off the beachy colors. 
  

I found this lovely piece of seaglass looking blue and green fabric and added some bits of green and navy to finish off the back piece. 
Simple wavy quilting in a pale green. 

So I will be thinking about sticking my feet in some cool foamy waves at the beach on my Virtual Vacation. 

Go check out some of the other challenge entries this week HERE @Project Quilting and 
linking up also with Sarah for her Whoop Whoop friday HERE and StringTherapy
and
Michelle's romantic tangle Baby quilts HERE 
and

Comments

Ramona said…
Your version of Sarah’s quilt is beautiful. I love your colors. This is going on my to-do list for sure! Great finish!
Sarah Craig said…
Kris, your version is just beautiful!!! And very beachy!!
Danice G said…
This is really a nice quilt. Sarah's tutorials and patterns are always so fun and well written.
Love, love, LOVE your Beach Glass version of Sarah's tutorial (from Christina's tutorial) for this challenge!! I had planned to start sewing m own version of the quilt today, but opted to get one step further on a UFO, instead.
PersimonDreams said…
absolutely wonderful! Love this beachy quilt!
grammajudyb said…
You have convinced me to add this quilt to my to-do list! I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

Remember when

I am...

Japandi - a bee quilt