Around the World Blog Hop

"So Blue" at Memorial Gardens

I am really excited to be included in the Around the World Blog Hop today. I was nominated by Melissa over at SewBitterSweetDesigns. I have been following Melissa each month for A lovely year of Finishes for a long time.  Most recently I tested a pattern for a Flowering Lonestar that is Melissa's design. That was my first time testing so this was really fun.
Flowering Lonestar


Okay to start off my post I am just going to mention a little bit about myself. I have been around quilting and quilters all my life it seems. I started out sewing clothing and crafts when I was little. My first outfit, a pink slub double knit outfit, bellbottom elastic waist pants and matching jacket vest was super stylin' if you know what I mean!! Doll clothes followed and some embroidery and crochet projects. My first quilt was drafted from a magazine picture when I was in high school.  Called "Sunshine and Shadow", an Amish trip around the world. It was made with a cardboard template and I drew around each square and cut them out by hand.

 
I took my first sewing machine to college with me and made many of my own clothes including jeans, coats and my own wedding dress.  Over the years I made a few quilts for Project Linus and some other charities and my mom quilted them for me by hand. Since she passed, I have been quilting my own quilts by machine. (or trying to learn fmqing I should say)
 
 
What I am working on now:
I currently like to participate in online BOMs and various quilt challenges. Sometimes these lead to fun blocks that I make up into charity quilts.  Right now I am working on some boat blocks that I think will make up into 4 cute charity quilts.  Making this many quilts will hopefully help me in my fmqing quest to improve my skills, I hope! I am following Elven Garden Quilts: a free motion quilt along here 
How does my work differ from others in this genre:
I am not sure that my work does differ. Everyday is an experiment. I want to make so many projects that I see and on the other hand I want to work on designs swirling around in my head. I am not sure where this journey is going yet so I look forward to where it takes me.
Why do I create what I do:
I just love the process of making and doing. I am not sure I know which direction that is in yet. I dabble.  I don't buy large quantities of fabric because I found that if I run out of something I have to get really creative and often something new emerges.
How does my creative process works:
No big surprise here. Sometimes I have a plan and sometimes things just happen. I usually have something on my design wall and often I have to leave it to stew there and work on other things until the rest of the idea comes.
 
"So Blue" as I was working on it HERE
Most often I sign up to do a challenge and that leads me in all directions.  Sometimes there are swaps, BOM's  or Quilt-a-longs that get me going  and trying new things.
SuperNova Friendship swap (more about this swap here)
 
Various challenge projects
QAYG quilt along
 
 
 
Next up I am sending you off to meet 3 very creative people. Be sure to check out their blogs. I really think you will enjoy going around the world to visit the US midwest, the UK and Canada  today.
 
First is Carla from Creatin In The Sticks. I know Carla from numerous challenge quilt projects. She always comes up with such creative and  fun ideas.
 
 
Then off to see Wendy over at The Crafters ApprenticeWendy is super talented in many  crafty ways. Be sure to check out her "Black work" it is something to see.
 
 
And  jog on over to visit Carole at Fresh off the Frame. Carole is also very talented in various mediums. I especially love her self portrait piece.
 
I hope you enjoyed your visit with me and the three talented artists I have linked with today.  Thanks for stopping by. 
 

 


 


Comments

Wendy said…
Thanks so much for nominating me!
Lorna McMahon said…
So Blue is so cool! Lovely work, Kris. Sew nice to know you!
It really is about the creative process isn't it. Fun to get to know ya a little bit more and glad to know I'm in good company when it comes to have "many stakes in the fire."

Popular posts from this blog

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

Finish it up Friday and S'more Love Giveaway

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1