A tale of two Quilt Guilds



My two local Modern Guilds had a mini quilt swap between them. We met up last Saturday to exchange the quilts and have a bit of meet and greet.  There were 15 from each guild that signed up to swap. My partner and I chatted by email and FB and then met up on a sew day.
"Bad Romance" on the Left is my sample
"Just Dance" on the Right is my finished swap piece
Fun at the park on this photo shoot. I could not resist the bicycle wheels on the dinosaur.   


My partner suggested colors of blue green, green blue, greens, burgundy and mustard. I tried to come up with a soothing combination for her. We tried to pick a page number and then find a quilt book with something good on that page. I was stuck The only thing that was remotely possible was a simple drunkards path block. Then I found Tula Pink's book in my stash.  I found in the book this Eclipse pattern. 


Straight line quilting



I also included a piece of fabric from my stash that I have hoarded for a very long time. It is a mix of blue green and green blue and has these lovely fibonacci markings on it. I simply adore it and it fit so well in with her colors I just had to use a bit of it. 
One of the reasons I called hers "Just Dance" is because sometimes you have to just take that leap....so cut the fabric people!!
Also the title refers to a song on Lady Gaga's Fame Album.....more on that below.




So the piece below is Side one, Song one on the Lady Gaga Fame Album, "Bad Romance". I started cutting my pieces out of scraps I had to test out the curve design.  Literally when I was working on this ripping out a seam, I turned the radio on and Bad Romance came on. Hmmm, did I make that happen??

I used some Kaffe scraps and some gradient fabric I had and tried a sample. The colors are a trial of a color harmony split complimentary. Red and blue-green and yellow-green. At first I hated it because it seemed sort of gaudy. Then instead of thinking the combo of Kaffe and Tula was such a 'bad romance' I started to like it. 
Split-Complementary
The split-complementary color scheme is a variation of the complementary color scheme. In addition to the base color, it uses the two colors adjacent to its complement.
This color scheme has the same strong visual contrast as the complementary color scheme, but has less tension.
The split-complimentary color scheme is often a good choice for beginners, because it is difficult to mess up.

 My record label...ha get it? 

Matchstick quilting on this one. 

Whew that is over.......now drum roll please......
The mini quilt I received:

It just sparkles!!!!
So our sew day and swap was a success. We also had an Ice Cream Sundae bar. I did not get much sewing done but chatting with members of both guilds was super fun. I am glad they got to meet up. Many requested we do it again. I am not sure I will organize it in the future but I am happy this one went well. 

Linking up with Let's Bee Social Here
and
My Quilt infatuation and
Show off Saturday at Sewcanshe

Comments

Both of your quilts are beautiful, love the green one, and the park picture! The one your received is amazing too
Vasudha said…
Both your versions and the quilt you received are beautiful. Lot of time spent on them.
Jen said…
The sew day/swap was a lot of fun! Thanks for all the work you put in to make it a success. I love the names of your quilts and the record label is super fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet

My turn on the New Blogger Blog Hop

Japandi - a bee quilt