Fun with Flannel and more


I recently dug in my closet and found a box of 5" flannel squares I had cut out a few years ago. I made a simple tie quilt with them and thought it was time to use up the rest of the box. (did not succeed but every bit helps)
Most of these were from old flannel shirts of my husbands. 


I found a soft layer of fleecy blanket left over from a previous denim quilt. I had an old blanket that had two soft layers perfect for the inside of a simple flannel quilt like this. I was however short about 6" so I frankensteined some small pieces of batting onto the edge. I had no idea if it would work but I tied this and washed it and everything is fine!




Simple ties in each square held it together just right. 

Another recycle/upcycle project completed. 

The trouble with digging in a craft closet, well any closet really is you never know what you will find. I came across this old pair of pants my husband had. It had ginormous side pockets on the leg perfect to make over into a bag. So I made this simple lined satchel. I attached a belt loop for a key attachment and put another pocket in the lining inside.  A smaller back pants pocket I used the the backside of the bag. It is soft and still sturdy. I love it to throw grab and go!

Upcycle is becoming a pattern here. :)




I have been making pillows for the homeless to go in my church sewing groups U.G.L.Y quilts (which are fabrics made into a heavy sleeping bag type cover) In each sleeping bag there is a hygiene kit bag full of basic hygiene essentials but also a pillow, socks, hat, scarves etc. I use my fabric quilt batting cut offs to fill the pillows which are usually denim leg upcycles. This is my decorator version. I have a box of drapery sample cut offs that are big enough for pillows. Turned out kind of cute and the fabric and inside is washable. 

So back to my flannel stash......


I had a bunch of somewhat coordinating fox flannel. I used some solids to make a simple 3 color rail to put between the bigger fox print.


This went together super quickly and is...heavy because I did put batting in the inside and a flannel backing on too!


Another cute fox fabric on the back!
Had to catch my early peony bush with something before they blew out so crawled back in there for this quick pic. 


While making the flannel  quilts I was reminded that Tilda fabric has a whole lot of free patterns on their website that are so cute. I wanted to make one of the dolls for a long time. I found some essex linen and used it for the body of the "Pet" formerly known as the Cow. :)
used a combo of vintage and new fabric for the overalls. So fun to make. Pet was a favored milk cow I had growing up. So this is my tribute to her.
She helped me with the above flannel quilt as well as various other projects. 



And finally one more flannel quilt was put together. Did I use a lot of my flannel stash.....sadly, NO!
Slow and steady...slow and steady...


A quick trip around sort of lay out. 
This is another one that is quite heavy. This one is about 50" square, the one above is more crib sized 45 x 48ish.


I tried to use up all the bits left over so as to not have scraps of every sort again. If I make an effort I usually make use of every bit.  I can give some of that credit to a blogger that has written a book on backings that will be coming out next month. Stay tuned for my review and tips I used to make my backs. **


 I didn't take a close up but the green fabric has dandelions on it and I thought this pic was clever with that one lone dandelion down below..haha.

So 3 flannel quilts made and so so many more to come to make a dent in my stash. I think I am going to invite people to come over and sew my stash to make this process go faster...it could be fun! What do you think? How do you get your fabrics used and back out into the world so someone can use and enjoy them in this life? Share your ideas below I'd love to hear from you.
See my other projects from this year below:

2023 Quilt parade:

Sundown on Scraps a scrap art quilt and kit recycle bags/pillows
Scrappy strips throw
2 scrap bag strip set quilts
2 More Baby Hexi Quilts including one giant flower garden
QAYG = Diatom scrap quilt
1 and 2 more Hexi Baby quilts
1,2, and 3 more Hexi Babies
Scrap use = Chain of Sunshine
#2 UFO = Scrap Coins
Gallery show piece: O Prairie Girl
P.Q 14.4 #1 = Novel -My Jane pillow
P.Q 14.2 = pink Tumbling tower of pink
P.Q 14.1 = QCR apple core

Linking with Scrap Happy
Sunday Stash @Quiltpaintcreate

Comments

Melva said…
WOW! I love all that you created with leftovers and upcycling items. That satchel is my favorite. :) Thank you so much for joining Sew & Tell.
Miaismine said…
I love your flannel quilt! How awesome is it that you made it from your stash?! I’ve often franensteined my batting with success. Did you use perle thread for tying? It looks precious!
Oh! I can see some pretty cool bags in my future with the idea you gave me! Thank you!
Love that sleeping bag cover as well! And your “foxy quilt” design! So cheerful!
Isn’t it amazing how slow it seems to go when we’re sewing through our stash? I have spent this year sewing through my Christmas stash and wow! I’m amazed at how much I’ve been able to produce! Yes! Slow and steady!
Kate said…
The Fox quilt is really cute. Love the bright green in the dandelion quilt. Even if you didn't use all your flannel hopefully you made a decent dent. No tips on using up the stash, I seem to just maintain a steady state with what goes out equal to what comes in!

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 5 - #1

I am...

Remember when

2019 Online Quilters Meet and Greet